
Dear Macarena,
I hope you arrived home in Spain well rested after a long flight from the US. Thank you for the Majorcan ensaimada recipe. I must admit that even though I am excited to bake it, finding fresh yeast in this part of town is just a challenge. I can make conversions of the fresh yeast measure to the regular bottled ones but I am just not a conventional cook so I am still in search of what the original recipe calls for which are yeast and pork lard - the second one I have on hand…
In my desperation to do one thing today, I tried another ensaimada recipe which called for (YES) pork lard instead of butter. I must say that today I am in pork lard heaven. Now, I know and taste the difference. This is the ensaimada that I am looking for, just like the one that we have back home in Manila and just like how you’ve described the Spanish ensaimada. I have been making French brioche that’s been made with butter all along. This is different and this is what I have been missing.
So, thank you Macarena for your visit. I hope to find the elusive fresh yeast soon and try the recipe you gave me…
From your new friend
~ In case you are wondering, I made the ensaimada in the Philippine tradition of topping it with melted butter, cheese and sugar. We like ours savory-sweet.
I hope you arrived home in Spain well rested after a long flight from the US. Thank you for the Majorcan ensaimada recipe. I must admit that even though I am excited to bake it, finding fresh yeast in this part of town is just a challenge. I can make conversions of the fresh yeast measure to the regular bottled ones but I am just not a conventional cook so I am still in search of what the original recipe calls for which are yeast and pork lard - the second one I have on hand…
In my desperation to do one thing today, I tried another ensaimada recipe which called for (YES) pork lard instead of butter. I must say that today I am in pork lard heaven. Now, I know and taste the difference. This is the ensaimada that I am looking for, just like the one that we have back home in Manila and just like how you’ve described the Spanish ensaimada. I have been making French brioche that’s been made with butter all along. This is different and this is what I have been missing.
So, thank you Macarena for your visit. I hope to find the elusive fresh yeast soon and try the recipe you gave me…
From your new friend
~ In case you are wondering, I made the ensaimada in the Philippine tradition of topping it with melted butter, cheese and sugar. We like ours savory-sweet.

No comments:
Post a Comment